Rajahmahendravaram Town is the biggest town in East Godavari and it is a Divisional Head Quarters. Howrah Madras railway line passes through the town longitudinally and has two railway Stations namely “GODAVARI” and “RAJAHMUNDRY” Road cum Rail Bridge was constructed on river Godavari linking Kovvur and Rajahmundry is considered to be an engineering feat. It is Asia’s Second largest Road cum Rail Bridge. The Town is connected with all Centers of the State with motorable roads.
Rajahmundry is first of East Godavari District to became Corporation. Rajahmundry with population of about 3 Lakhs, lying on the left bank of the river Godavari, located on National Highway, 560 Km. away from Madras and 520 Km. from Hyderabad, is not only an ancient town where rich literary activities flourished, but it is also an important commercial center. It came into existence even by 918 A.D.
Rajahmundry town is situated on 17o-1′ Northern Latitude, 81o-41′ Eastern Longitude. It is on the left bank of river Godavari just above the Head of Delta. The average rainfall is about 1057.2 mm. Rajahmundry Town has a large hinterland comprising of delta of Godavari. Which is blessed with vast agricultural land with irrigation potential.
By virtue of this unique location, Rajahmundry provides a communication link and a Trading Center for the hinter land. Rajahmundry is also large commercial area comprising of wholesale and retail trading centers dealing in Consumer goods, Textiles, Automobile, Agricultural Inputs, Engineering Hardware, Cement, Iron and Steel.
The greatness and celebrity of Rajahmundry as the seat of learning and culture and center of religious and political activities, the meeting place of scholars, poets, learned men, dancers and musicians, that commenced in the days of Vijayaditya Ammaraja–II and his half-brother prince Danamava, reached its zenith in the reign of Rajaraja Narendra and continued till the days of the fall of the Reddy dynasty in the middle of the Fifteenth Century, survives to this day though in a lesser degree. Rajahmundry or Rajamahendravaram as it was called in those days as though all these maintained its high reputation and glory as the seat of Andhra learning and culture.
The British used Rajahmundry as “Head Quarters” of Godavari District but subsequently the seat of administration was shifted to Kakinada and the District named as East Godavari. This historical town has been subjected to the process of continuous remodeling through the ages.The variety of its present form is the result of forces which dominated during the successive periods of its history. One can find the motives of town builders, from emperors to sub dividers, reflected in the design they have stamped upon the town.
It has a hoary past and is said to have been constructed by the Eastern Chalukya ruler Rajaraja Narendra in A.D. 1022. The town has some traces of fine palaces, fort walls, etc., of the 11th century A.D. Nannaya, the poet laureate, who was called ‘Adi Kavi’ belonged to this place. There are a number of temples here and the Kotilingala temple on the bank of the Godavari is one of the most important temples. The Godavari Pushkarams celebrated once in Twelve years, attracts a large number of pilgrims from all over the country and world. At a distance of seven kilometers south of Rajahmundry, there is the Dowleswaram anicut across the Godavari.
This area was named after Mr. Bipin Chandra Paul who came to Rajahmundry in April 1907 during the Vandemataram movement. The present Kotipalli Bus Stand was his stage of speeches then. He gave speeches for 5 days continuously at this place. The senior citizens of Rajahmundry who are above 50 years might have known this history. The area covering the Petrol Bunk, Jetty Towers, Bus Stand and the three parks comes under Paul Chowk.
The area behind the District Court is known as Seshaiahmetta. It is said that Rajahmundry was on Panchagiris (Five Hills) and one of them was Sesha Giri (A hill named Sesha) and the place was named after it. But the story according to the historians is quite different. According to them the name of this place took it’s transformation from “Sher Sahib Metta” to “Seshaiah metta”. Sher Sahib was one of the ruler of Rajahmundry during the Mohammedan rule and the present Old – Post Office building was his residence.
Godavari Pushkaram is celebratd once every 12 years at Pushkar a Tirtam, near Rajahmundry. The legend has it that when sage Gautama was doing penance on the Brahmagiri hill a severe famine occurred in village. The sage by his divine power relieved the people of this famine. Since then these Pushkarams are being celebrated to commemorate the end of this serious famine. During the 12 days of Pushkaram, Pujas are performed after taking a dip in the river Godavari. The origin of the river Godavari is at Triambakam, which is in the Nasik District of Maharastra state.
The Godavari river passes through various districts of Andhra Pradesh and reaches Rajahmundry. At Rajahmundry Godavari is known as Akhanda Godavari, later it branches into seven streams and merges with the sea. The Godavari Pushkarams are celebrated when the transition of the planet Jupiter (Brihaspathi) into Simha Rasi (Leo). These pushkarams was held from 30.7.2003 to 10.8.2003. For Every 12 years the Pushkaras are being celebrated. Lakhs of pilgrims will take a holy dip in the river Godavari during pushkarams.
Star Hotels and Lodges are Available for Paid Accommodation in Rajahmundry.